It's a bird, it's a plane, no...
It's Theta Mom!
Theta Mom has made quite an impact in our mom blogger community. With her thought provoking posts and her Time-Out Thursdays, Theta Mom has provided us with a little window into her Theta World. She's reminded us that being a mom is a difficult yet rewarding job but perfection is not necessarily what we should be aiming for. We should strive to be the best we can and be true to the woman within, at least one hour a week ;-)
So to get to know her a little better, here is a short Q & A.
1. Why don't we start things off by having you introduce yourself? Let's pretend we don't ALL know who you are...
My name is Heather and I began my blog Theta Mom as a way to connect with other mothers. I wanted to share my experiences as a Theta Mom because I know so many other moms feel the same way I do. We don’t have this motherhood thing all figured out and we are trying to do the best job we know how. I thought blogging would be the best way to support women and mothers through this process. A Theta Mom is The True, Authentic [The-T-A] mom. She’s a combination of an Alpha and a Beta mom. She has her act together some days, but on others, she clearly doesn’t. She searches endlessly for the best pre-school in the neighborhood but also shows up to a birthday party late. Some days she looks smashing and ready to go and on other days, she walks out of the house with a coffee stained t-shirt. We are living this reality of motherhood and although it’s certainly rewarding, it’s also very hard work. Nobody ever said it was easy, and a Theta Mom will be the first to admit that.
2. I have been following your blog since the very beginning and I look up to you. I see you as a got-it-together awesome mom of two. Our perception of ourselves always seems to vary from the perception others have of us. How do you see yourself?
Wow, thank you for the compliment! I am flattered! Actually, I feel as though I have it all together, but the reality is there are many times I don’t. Although I am super organized, I have those mornings when I am running late and there’s not a damn thing I could do to change it. There are also many nights that I slap some Mac-n-Cheese on the table for dinner. We all go through it. Nobody is perfect and anyone who says that this gig is easy is simply not sharing the entire truth. I find the hardest thing about being a mom is the negative self talk. I think we all ask ourselves way too much, “Is the job that I am doing good enough?” We want nothing but the best for our kids. But at the end of the day, we have to release all of that negativity and begin to think that, “Yes, I am doing the best that I can and it IS good enough. And if today wasn’t such a spectacular day, I’ll try it again tomorrow.” When I make mistakes or find things that didn’t work, I recognize that I am always given another chance to make it right the next day. And motherhood doesn’t get more authentic than that.
3. What were your expectations when you first started blogging? Have any of them come true? What are your expectations for the future of Theta Mom?
Since I began my blog, for the first time I feel like I now have voice. I have a platform to empower women. I really want to revolutionize the way we think about the role of motherhood. This was my only expectation when I began this blog, to build a community. I feel as though I am in a place where I am beginning to establish just that. I have met some of the most amazing women through my blog. I never expected to make some of the connections that I have. This has truly blown me away. I want to continue to build this community of Theta Moms together. I want to explore these relationships and connections to the fullest.
4. You post and comment religiously. How do you find the time? Do you have any blogging tips or secrets you would like to share with the rest of us?
Honestly, my time is just as limited as everyone else’s. I wouldn’t say I have mastered time management, but I certainly have a handle on it. I work from home, I’m raising two kids, I’m keeping up with the house and all the fun stuff that comes with the territory, and I am also writing and managing my blog. But, I wouldn’t have it any other way. Blogging for me is an outlet. I always loved to write and this platform suits me well since I could write about the topic of motherhood forever! I have learned the best way to get the support of others is by supporting them as well. So anyone that comments on my blog, I comment back. If someone follows, I follow back (when my Google Friend Connect cooperates)! If someone took the time to read my blog and comment, that blogger deserves my time as well. This is how you truly build community; it can’t be all one-sided. I love interacting with my readers and it helps to continue the dialogue…sort of like blogging with a purpose.
5. Blogging has many pros and cons. In your opinion, what are the #1 pros and cons to blogging? For me, the #1 pro is that blogging has given me the opportunity to meet some amazing mothers I wouldn’t have met otherwise. They continue to inspire me to write. The flip side of this is that blogging is very time consuming. Sometimes I wonder if I am taking too much time away from my kids to maintain my blog. Just like anything else in life, you have to make sacrifices and there is definitely a trade-off. The bottom line is that this blogging thing is really hard work. People that don’t blog really don’t understand it. They think you can just slap up a post and sit back with your coffee as you watch hundreds of comments stroll in. We all know this is not how it works. It takes dedication, determination, great writing and a lot of time to make a blog successful. Regardless, as long as I stay true to myself and committed to my Mission, then I have truly met my own expectations.
Heather, it was so nice of you to play along and answer my silly questions. I really appreciate it!
And just in case you want to stalk Theta Mom on Twitter... Here you go! @ThetaMom