Open Letter to my Daughter, Sophia

My darling angel,

I always knew I wanted to be a mother. I think your daddy sometimes believes I married him just so I could have a baby (on some level, he might be right). The day I found out I was expecting I took about 6 pregnancy tests ( I have photographic evidence) not because I was in disbelief but because seeing those 2 little pink lines appear made me feel ecstatic/fulfilled/elated every time.


You grew inside me and the first time I felt you move was the greatest experience of my life and it all became so real.

I was a week overdue and even though my body could not take much more stretching I would have kept you in there forever. As I went into labor it dawned on me that we would never be this close again. For 9 months we were one and now you were ready to make your debut and I would have to share you with the rest of the world.

And here we are now, 14 months later and I'm glad I didn't keep you in my belly. Your smile brightens my soul and your sweet voice melts my heart.

Every night before I go to sleep I tiptoe into your room to see you sleeping. I'll probably do it always until the day you move out (oh my god! I can't believe that one day you'll move out!). And as I stroke your hair I realize that I won't always be able to protect you… that my responsibility to you is to show you how to protect yourself. Hopefully I won't let you down.
I just want you to know that mommy loves you.

Love,

Sophia's Mom


8 months and 1 week pregnant...ready to pop!



Sophia, 13 months

16 comments:

  1. Aww that is beautiful. You made me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!
    Your daughter will love this when she gets older and is reading it! Great photo of you as well! You look so beautiful pregnant! And oh my your daughter is adorable!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mommas! I couldn't sleep last night and I ended up writing this letter on my phone :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is sooo cute! Love that pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet post/letter. You are going to do just great as a mom since you are already thinking of what you can do to be the best mom in the world.

    My little one is 14 years old and I still kiss her goodnight and tuck her in. Nothing like it in the world and we are besties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from MBC... thanks and lovley daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post and a cute little girl. Have you ever read the book Love You Forever. http://www.amazon.com/Love-You-Forever-Robert-Munsch/dp/0920668372#reader

    Made me cry the first...ok every time i read it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by girls!

    VodkaLogic - no I haven't read that book. I'll have to check if they have it at my library!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so amazing! I should write something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why must you make me cry? Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post! and btw, I left you an award!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Great blog. I am now following you.

    I also just gave you an award. Come see..

    http://livingsmartgirl.blogspot.com/2009/10/best-blog-award.html

    Please accept this award, and reblog about it as the instructions say. :) Please follow my blog, and my twitter... and I will return the twitter follow.

    Have a great day :)

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love open letters. First one I wrote to my daughter was when I was six months pregnant on 9/12/01.
    She's adorable.
    I told my little ones they don't ever have to move out =)

    ReplyDelete

Share This Post

Related Posts with Thumbnails

adsense